Thursday, March 27, 2014

Ergonomics

Hand-in-hand with the last post, I had an ergonomics evaluation as much of my musculoskeletal strain is from poor posture and mechanics. We spend so much of our time in front of computers, at workstations, doing repetitive motions, but we rarely think about how this affects our bodies. Especially when we are young, we are just unaware, and over time, the toll of tension adds up. I was thoroughly humbled by the ergonomics consultant. Now I adjust my anesthesia workstation first thing in the morning. I change the level of my keyboard, the height of my chair, the position of my monitor. I watch how I push gurneys, move patients, even hang up IV bags. After lifting thousands of one liter IV bags over my head, I've finally learned how to do it without over-exerting my trapezius muscles. So much of what I love about anesthesia is procedural, and ergonomics are important. I'm developing awareness of my posture during laryngoscopy, how I hold the ultrasound probe, how I access my medication cart. I wish I didn't have to think about these mundane aspects of everyday work, but if I don't, I regret it.

No comments: