Friday, March 14, 2014

Scheduler Rotation

Senior residents are assigned to a two week perioperative scheduler rotation at our ambulatory surgery center. Designed to give us experience in operating room management, assigning cases, resource allocation, and interprofessional leadership, it's a rotation unlike any other for us. Under the guidance of the main operating room scheduler, we are the point person for the ambulatory surgery center. We carry the phone, determine how to accommodate emergency and add-on cases, manage delayed rooms, respond to emergencies, and assure that all surgeries in the 12 operating rooms run smoothly.

I arrive at 6:30 and pick up the phone and schedule. I map out how the day should look; after working with these surgeons for nearly four years, I know which surgeons are faster than expected and which are slower than expected. I look at the physicians I have on call and make a plan for how the day will unfold. Some anesthesiologists need to get to labor and delivery night call, others need to leave early, others have meetings, and some can't be in rooms with radiation (due to pregnancy). I also manage the residents in the ambulatory surgery center; I try to get them high-yield educational cases, relieve them for lecture, and supervise their case starts. I take a look at the add-on list and see if any cases are appropriate for the ambulatory surgery center. Though it's more work for me and my anesthesiologists, I try to offload cases from the main operating rooms because any true surgical emergencies would go to the main. As I carry the phone, I am available for emergencies, anticipated challenging case starts (such as pediatric cases), and PACU crises. I eat a hearty breakfast because once the day gets going, I may be running around nonstop.

No comments: