Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Surgical ICU

All in all, I really enjoyed my time as a fellow on the surgical ICU. It was much better than being a resident as I had entirely a supervisory role, better hours, an improved understanding of the politics and relationships with surgeons, and a honed skill set. It became my final rotation of my fellowship, and I felt a little nostalgia as I rounded in the east ICU one last time. The last week of the rotation was the one in which chief residents moved on, junior residents moved in, and interns began, so I helped smooth the transition for many. We had some long-term patients who had been there for weeks, and by the end, we had resolved the critical care issues for most of them, and that was wonderful closure. I was very glad to finish my fellowship at the home base at Stanford, and I have a few weeks to write about the exciting things to come in my career.

No comments: