Sunday, July 19, 2015

The Job Hunt IV

Whereas applications for undergrad, medical school, residency, and fellowship usually involve extensive essays and short answer questions, jobs usually only want a CV. My cover letter was short, only a paragraph. I sometimes wonder how groups differentiate between applicants since I'm pretty sure my CV looks very similar to those of other graduating residents or fellows. Perhaps this is why connections and networking matters so much.

Then, there's usually a short telephone interview and then an all day in person interview. Unlike medical school or residency, the process goes two ways; I am as critical in evaluating the potential job as they are in evaluating me. Well-trained highly motivated doctors with integrity are a huge value to the group, and they spend a lot of time trying to recruit us. As a result, the interview process is very benign and cordial, at least in my specialty. I try to meet and talk to as many members of the group as possible to get the widest perspectives of what it's like to work there. Sometimes, recent members have differing opinions than the old guard. Each group and hospital has a different flavor of patients and procedures, different relationships with staff and surgeons, and different ways of managing the finances. Unlike prior application processes, it's hard to compare one opportunity with another. It's not always apples to apples. Early on, I learned there's no perfect job for me, and I have to figure out what I'm willing to sacrifice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would you ever consider working in academics? I've heard a lot of anesthesiologists are moving into academics, even though it tends to pay a lot less. But there are apparently other benefits.

Unknown said...

were you able to secure a job in the Bay area?

also, do you consider anesthesiology a saturated field of medicine?

Craig said...

Thanks! yes i joined a private practice anesthesia group in mountain view, starting later this month. i would definitely consider academics - one of the reasons i did not choose academics is that there weren't a ton of opportunities in the bay area at the time i was looking. There is a pay differential but i believe that won't be as pronounced as it used to be when private practice was really lucrative. Academics tends to have better clinical duties - residents, call spread over a larger pool, more flexibility with shifts, but does come with the expectations of research, administration, teaching, and other responsibilities. i certainly may consider doing it in the future.