Thursday, March 01, 2007

M&N

Finally, a non-ethics post. Recently, we started our metabolism and nutrition block. This 8-week block focuses on gastroenterology and endocrinology. So far, we've had quite a bit of anatomy, reviewing a lot of the peritoneum as well as upper GI tract. The anatomy labs aren't too bad, though I still find nerves and vessels difficult. We did get a chance to practice suturing on intestinal tissue, which was good. It takes me a bit of practice to get comfortable with those skills.

Gastroenterology also has an unfortunate amount of histology. I'm neither very good nor incredibly interested in histology, though I recognize its importance. We've had a few physiology lectures, but those haven't been too difficult. We're just starting some of the pathology and disease processes that can affect the GI tract. It should be an interesting block; I don't know too much about these organ systems. However, I can feel the grind wearing most of us down slowly.

No comments: