Sunday, March 04, 2007

Medical Mandarin

I'm taking an elective on elementary medical mandarin. It's fun, but I'm not sure how useful it is to me. We have five 2-hour sessions, and it is hard to pick up a lot of a language in that amount of time. The class is geared mostly to those with a limited knowledge of mandarin. Since I speak it fluently, the class isn't particularly directed at me. However, I wanted to learn some of the medical terms and phrases that I don't know.

I feel that the class is fairly fast-paced for those who do not know the language. We do a little pinyin (which I don't know, since I learned Chinese by characters) and pronunciation. We cover common everyday expressions and phrases. Then we do a little bit of medical-oriented vocabulary. In general, it's enjoyable because one of my pharmacy friends from high school is taking it; both of us went to Chinese school together as kids. In any case, though I haven't learned a great deal, I think it's good to hear medical mandarin being spoken and to practice it.

No comments: