Sunday, February 08, 2009

Poem: Guilt

The sounds in this poem came together five years ago in a jotted draft during one of my core biology classes. This is the first time I've really worked with this poem since. My high school British literature teacher taught me about the caesura, an audible pause that breaks up each line seen in Greek poetry (Iliad), Latin poetry (Virgil), and Old English (Beowulf), and I tried very hard to use that literary device in a productive manner.
-
Guilt

Flee, star princess, flee from me
satchel in hand, go to the sea
stare at those waves, the starry starry waves
that, moonlit coerced, reflect the graves
of men who you loved. In this gloomy dusk
you will shell from your cocoon, shed the husk.
Look into the water, rippled and pine
finger tracing an image, running a line
that parts the sea. Walk with me
out of your stone walls, the entropy.
Sleep, star princess, sleep with me
constellation made from a plea
hand in hand, we sink together,
satchel releasing the worldly tether.

No comments: