Monday, February 02, 2009

Women's Health

This rotation has really taught me a lot about women's health. In the first two years and in the other rotations, I learned about the basic biology and medical problems that can arise from obstetric or gynecologic issues, but I never really thought about the impact on women's lives. Only after seeing patients do I realize how difficult it can be to have menstrual irregularities, to worry about pregnancy, and to deal with hot flashes. Women having surgery are young, yet face grave diseases like endometriosis or ovarian cysts or cancer. I've only begun to appreciate how difficult the postpartum course is, with mood swings, breastfeeding, waking up every hour. I'm finally getting a glimpse into the changes and challenges of pregnancy. This is a very important introduction to women's health and a fundamental part of medical school.

No comments: