Friday, September 01, 2006

First Impressions

I moved into my apartment last weekend (8/26-27). It's two blocks from the medical campus, which is very convenient. My family helped me assemble some basic furniture, clean, and settle in. Like all moving days, it was quite hectic; we were pretty rushed at the end and we didn't have a chance to pick up some staples (but I haven't needed a stapler yet). My apartment itself is quite nice and spacious (imagine, four years ago, I lived in a Lag mini-double). The kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom are pretty standard. The manager is quite a nice guy and has helped me take care of repairs and such.

Inner Sunset is unfortunately a wind-tunnel. It's foggy, wet, and cold. This reminds me of Oxford, with all the buses and old buildings and walking. UCSF is on top of a decently formidable mountain. I actually like it a lot, though it is very different from Stanford and sometimes a hassle to go outside. Several MUNI lines come very close (the 43, 6, and N-Judah) which makes it pretty easy to get around the city. Within walking distance (though not exceptionally close), there are restaurants, shops, and cafes. It's quite a nice area, and I think I will come to know it well.

No comments: