Friday, September 22, 2006

I am the IHum Kid

Professor: Can anyone tell me what's special about buffalo lungs?
Me: Buffalo lungs have one pleura.
Rest of class: [silence]

So buffalo (and bison, incidentally) have a single pleural cavity, which means that if you shoot one arrow that pierces the cavity, their entire lung will collapse (called a pneumothorax). Nearly all other mammals, including humans, have separate pleural cavities (making up a left and right lung). So an arrow wound (or broken rib) piercing the pleural cavity will only cause collapse of one lung. I learned this freshman year from an anesthesia seminar.
-
One of the anatomy texts we use (as well as most medical schools) is Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy.
Elaine: Does anyone know if Netter is still alive?
Me: He died in 1991.
Elaine: [incredulous look]
Me: I read the preface.
Rest of anatomy group: [incredulous look]

Um, yeah.
-
Professor: Can anyone name an effect of the sympathetic nervous system?
Another student: Bronchodilation (opening of blood vessels in the lungs).
Professor: [to that student] Do you know what receptor mediates that effect?
Me: The beta-2 adrenergic receptor!
Professor: [looks over, slightly annoyed]. Does anyone know another effect of the sympathetic nervous system?
Yet another student: Tachycardia (increased heart rate).
Professor: [to that student] Yes. Do you know what receptor mediates that effect?
Me: The beta-1 adrenergic receptor!
Professor: Who the hell is that guy?

Actually, the questions weren't that hard, but I had a leg up doing adrenergic receptor research for a couple years. Some people made some pretty funny comments about that incident later on.
-
(The reference to "IHum kid" is a Stanford thing. Nobody likes an IHum kid.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like you!

Alex said...

lol ol

Anonymous said...

Peling: I wouldn't

Christine: I agree (I would punch you)

Peling: If you were in my class...*shakes fist*