Saturday, January 06, 2007

Not Waving, But Drowning

We've started the pulmonary segment of the Organs block, so we have a little over three weeks on the lungs. The lungs are a bit easier than the heart (no electrical activity), and they're vitally important, so this should be good. We've had some anatomy, histology, and basic ventilation/perfusion lectures. Our first case was a near-drowning. It's been a little rough getting back to the school schedule after a really relaxing break, and I thought of this poem by Stevie Smith (1957). I apologize, it's a bit dark.

"Not Waving, But Drowning"

Nobody heard him, the dead man,
But still he lay moaning:
I was much further out than you thought
And not waving, but drowning.

Poor chap, he always loved larking
And now he's dead
It must have been too cold for him his heart gave way,
They said.

Oh, no no no, it was too cold always
(Still the dead one lay moaning)
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.

1 comment:

Steph said...

I like your poem! It also reminds me of Cowper's "The Castaway." =)