Thursday, April 26, 2007

Neuroanatomy II

In the third lab, we dissected the neck, confirming my belief that the neck is one of the most difficult structures for me. Even though the neck, for the most part, is just a gateway for nerves and vessels to and from the head, the anatomy is fairly complicated. We then dissected the orbit, the related structures of the eye. To enter the orbit, we actually crushed the skull from the inside; this was a little alarming, but the best way to reach the nerves and muscles of the eye. The eye is an amazingly concerted structure when you examine the intricate muscles and their innervation. Lastly, we dissected the face. This was quite scary as it really brought to light the fact that this was a person we were taking apart. I am certain that I would not have been able to do this at the beginning of the year; I suppose this shows how much I have changed with regards to anatomy over the last 9 months.

This concludes our formal laboratory dissections for the year. That's a really tremendous thought. While I never craved anatomy lab, I have learned an incredible amount and realized that the human body is a fascinatingly structured system. So much can be learned from studying the physical organs, their innervation, their musculature, and their blood supply. I have an overwhelming sense of gratitude and awe for the person who donated his body for us to learn from it. I suppose we have passed one major milestone of medical education.

Here is a youtube clip on neuroanatomy, taught by Pinky and the Brain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snO68aJTOpM

1 comment:

Alex said...

don't forget the german version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqZ7FfKSKLE