Sunday, September 30, 2007

Lucid Dreams

Lucid dreaming is an interesting phenomenon in which you are aware that you're dreaming. In fact, during those dreams, you can exert conscious control over what happens in the dream including doing things that are physically impossible. Once in a while, I find myself in a lucid dream, and I sometimes wonder how I realized that. Sometimes I can gather clues in a dream like reading something, looking away, and reading it again (it often changes) or forcing myself to attempt to breathe underwater. Once I'm in a lucid dream, I find myself able to do things like escape by hiding in the ground or jumping atop buildings. Lucid dreams are really fascinating things. I sometimes also dream that I'm waking up and go through the motions of getting ready in the morning. When I actually do wake up, I'm usually woozy enough to find the deja vu very jarring. Anyway, all this weirdness with dreaming makes me think a lot about the nature of consciousness and experience.

No comments: