Thursday, August 14, 2008

Brain Drain

I'm a little over half way done with the neurology rotation. Things have gotten better; even though the hours are pretty bad, at least now I have time to blog. The attendings on this service are fantastic. Our new attending is ridiculously smart; he can pull out obscure Latinate descriptions of diseases when discussing any sort of case. He's really enthusiastic about teaching and his differentials have an obscene number of zebras (acute intermittent porphyria, inclusion body myositis). But it's fun, I'm sort of adapting to the q4 call schedule and the pace of things here.

We recently had a "mini clinical performance exam" where we did an observed history and physical of a standardized patient. It seems kind of silly since that's what we do every day, but I guess they like to make sure everyone is on track with things. I'm almost done with my outpatient psychiatry clinic and I've really enjoyed it; the patients are fascinating and motivated to change, the preceptors give us a lot of responsibility, and I'm making a difference in an underserved population.

No comments: