Monday, August 11, 2008

Mapping the Mind

Yes, I am actually writing a book review. I read Mapping the Mind by Rita Carter, an interesting nonfiction book that explores the fascinating story of the brain. Written for laypeople, it goes into considerable scientific depth about how the brain works, what we know about neurologic and psychiatric diseases, and the amount we have yet to learn. The content surveys a broad range of material that would appear in an introductory psychology course from memory (HM) to executive function (Phineas Gage) to emotions to language. It's a good read if you have spare time, but it would be something to peruse for interest rather than knowledge because it is only covers topics in cursory detail.

Image from www.ritacarter.co.uk.

1 comment:

jeff said...

Heh, you described it perfectly. I read the book around the time I graduated high school. To be honest, I don't remember as much as I should, but I thought it was an interesting overview.