Monday, August 18, 2008

Jail Ward

I finally got a patient in the jail ward. It's been described as an "extension of the prison" and to some extent that's what it feels like. A police officer has to buzz you in through multiple security doors that look like an airlock. All the rooms have multiple windows for guards to watch; there are no bathrooms, just a toilet and sink in an alcove. We are not supposed to tell inmates when they will be discharged. But otherwise, medicine is the same; I examine my patient (careful not to close the door, otherwise I'd be locked in) and write my notes and put in orders. It's actually less exciting than it sounds.

I heard a ridiculous story though. Apparently, it's not uncommon to have a prison inmate who has some severe medical condition leaving them paralyzed or unconscious. Yet even in those circumstances, they handcuff him to the bed and place a guard outside the door.

No comments: