Thursday, April 30, 2009

Decisions I

The looming decision is what kind of doctor I want to be. I've been putting off this particular blog because I don't know. I'm indecisive. As a third year student, it's good; I keep my mind open, I'm motivated to learn, and I try to go in without faulty preconceptions. But now, it's getting a little scary. People have been asking me what specialty I want to pursue, and "I don't know" is becoming increasingly unacceptable. I've already experienced the core clerkships; surely I must have some idea.

It's hard for someone who doesn't like to commit. But hopefully the next few posts will help me elucidate what I'm most curious about. Originally, I had favored a process of elimination but then I found the AAMC (American Association of Medical Colleges) website with 100+ specialties and subspecialties.

In looking at them, there are fields that I have or will get exposure that I'm interested in: Anesthesia, Critical Care, Internal Medicine, Cardiology, Infectious Disease.

There are fields that I have or will get exposure that I'm neutral about: Emergency Medicine, Hematology and Oncology, Pulmonary, Dermatology, Pain Medicine, Endocrinology, Gastroenterology, Geriatrics, Nephrology, Rheumatology, Neurology, Pediatrics (and its subspecialties).

There are fields that I have gotten exposure to that I don't think I'm likely to enter: Surgery (and its related cohort), Family Medicine, Psychiatry, Radiology, Radiation Oncology.

But for many fields, I won't get much of a taste; I'm ruling them out based on my likely false assumptions about these specialties. It's a shame, but we can't try everything. I don't think I'll get much exposure to or pursue: Allergy and Immunology, Genetics, Neurosurgery, Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology, Pathology, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Sleep Medicine, Urology.

No comments: