Saturday, April 25, 2009

Urgent Care Reprise

I returned to urgent care for my last week of pediatrics. While the majority of things I saw were bread and butter coughs and sniffles, I did have a few interesting infectious disease cases: ascaris (intestinal roundworms) and scabies (a mite). I enjoy urgent care because we get a lot of independence. All the patients are undifferentiated so it has the emergency department feel without the chaos. But the unpredictability is tough. We might have no patients for a while, and then a deluge comes in. One day, we had two attendings but one was tied up with an unfortunate case of child abuse. As a result, everyone was waiting to present to an attending and we had all our rooms filled plus five or six patients in the waiting room. But it teaches me efficiency in seeing and presenting patients.

No comments: