Friday, April 24, 2009

Parents

Finally, a post on the accouterments that come with pediatric patients: their parents. I think there were a lot of misconceptions about parents. I was warned about overprotective parents who wouldn't let me touch their children or demanding parents who would ask for medically unnecessary tests or treatments. I didn't find that to be true at all. My experience with parents was great. They were always receptive to a student talking to and examining their child. For the most part, they were reasonable; I did have a few that required persuasion against antibiotics or for vaccinations, but it wasn't a big deal.

On the other hand, I realized how central parental relationships and family dynamics can be to a child's health. Though rare, I've had parents argue and fight with each other and yell at their kids in front of me. Sometimes, a divorced parent will criticize the other parent and ask me to back them up. Those situations are awkward and difficult to finesse. I think it just comes with the territory of pediatrics.

No comments: