Saturday, January 02, 2010

Complacency

The greatest danger to the fourth year medical student is complacency. Done with the bulk of our "hard" rotations, and perhaps a little burned out too, we're coasting to the finish. Indeed, most of us view fourth year as the well-deserved break after the grueling first three years of medical school. We choose electives partially based on the hours, and we spend our free time getting to know San Francisco. It's a welcome relief, but it can also lull us into a sense of complacency. Much as I like the freedom and vacation time, I also need to remind myself that I'm still paying tuition and I ought to make use of the flexibility we have in our education. So now that winter break is over, I must do away with laziness and senioritis. After all, by now, I ought to know the etymology of that word makes no sense.

No comments: