Tuesday, January 26, 2010

East Coast / West Coast

I often hear the generalization that east coast and west coast residency programs differ in attitude. Although obviously every program has its own flavor, there is a common belief that east coast programs are more formal and hierarchical whereas west coast programs are more laid back and relaxed. In visiting different programs, I think some of that might exist, but not to an extent that it should matter. It seemed that more doctors on the east coast wear ties than the west coast, and perhaps there's a greater distance between patient and doctor, but residents and attendings were friendly wherever I went. I think the important parts of the residency atmosphere - a collegial, mutually respectful, supportive environment - don't seem to depend on geography. Yet programs do vary on these factors, and as I consider the things that are important to me in residency, I am trying to find the right balance of independence and support, of formality and informality.

No comments: