Monday, January 25, 2010

Mentoring

I went to a panel discussion today on mentoring with several amazing faculty members including the new chancellor Sue Desmond-Hellmann. It was a fascinating discussion in which I realized the central role of mentors and role-models in the career progression of fellows and junior faculty. Indeed, all the panelists commented on the importance of both higher-level faculty and peers on their careers, and as they have established themselves in academia, they have taken on the position of mentors for others as well. They talked about the importance of mentoring minorities but also encouraging "cis" and "trans" mentors - that is, relationships between those who are similar as well as those who are different. They talked about the spectrum of relationships, from the very formal to the informal and about fostering these relationships very early on.

In thinking about this, I can identify two Stanford anesthesiologists who were key in influencing me to try research, enter medicine, and ultimately go into academic anesthesia. It always amazed me that they would take the time out of their busy schedule to help an undergraduate focus his life and find a path. They've always been role models of the kind of doctor, teacher, and mentor I would like to become some day. I have really come to appreciate those who've played such pivotal roles in my life.

No comments: