Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Who?

The class of 2010 is a medley of students; about half came in with me four years ago, about half took a year off, and a few others took even more time to do other degrees or projects. I am really honored to be a part of this class though. We have an amazing cohort of students who have such impressive accomplishments that inspire me beyond belief. My friends have done Rhodes' scholarships, published in Science, worked in clinics in Africa, campaigned at the White House, and designed clinical studies. They've achieved things I can't even imagine doing.

Working with my classmates on the wards has been a pleasure and an honor. They have taught me so much. The richest discussions I remember involve sharing my cases with my classmates (and fellow blogger) on my sub-i. My classmates help me see things in different lights, consider alternative diagnoses or plans, and deliver better care. And beyond that, they've become role-models for the kind of student, doctor, and person I would like to be. They've buoyed me when I've needed emotional support, they've cheered me on when I stagger in on my final post-call day.

Beyond my peers, I have been so lucky to work with the outstanding faculty here at UCSF. They are truly dedicated teachers and physicians, and really represent the kind of doctor I hope to become. These are the teachers who have inspired me to go into academia. They've not only taught me facts, but how to approach problems critically, challenge pre-existing paradigms, and think outside the box.

I would not be here without the support staff. One of the most amazing people at UCSF is the guru behind the third and fourth year rotations; Maureen is a wizard is she navigates hundreds of rotations and hundreds of students vying for them. The support staff have the hardest jobs and are always underappreciated. So, thank you for those behind the scenes that have made my education so smooth.

Lastly, thanks to those who have made my experience here what it is. The first year students in my small groups, the students ahead of me who gave me advice, my friends outside of medicine who put up with me, and my family -- thank you.

No comments: