Thursday, June 03, 2010

Convocation

We had Convocation on Cinco de Mayo. I looked up convocation on Wikipedia (the source on everything eclectic) and learned that it was simply a formal assembly (or a collective noun for eagles). Convocation took place where we began medical school, in Cole Hall, festively decorated with balloons of jalapenos and sombreros. A slideshow depicting key moments in medical school reminded us of so many milestones: the camping trip, orientation, the white coat ceremony, volunteering, electives, parties, fundraisers, cultural shows, vacations, conferences. There was a "virtual parade of children," pictures of all the kids my classmates had and raised during medical school. This is truly a stunning accomplishment; I think of how busy I was and I can't imagine the additional responsibility of caring for a young child. We also presented teaching awards to residents and faculty. I feel that recognizing great teachers is so important but often overlooked. I aspire to be like the residents and faculty who we acknowledged. Lastly, "superlatives" were given to our classmates such as "most likely to be at an event with free food," "most likely to complete 5 residencies," "most likely to have a career in politics," "best shoulder to cry on," and "most likely to oversleep on the first day of residency." It was a really fun celebration with all my classmates.

No comments: