Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Life as an Intern

The most important commodity is pens. I carry lots of pens around. I was once amused by a UCSF neurologist whose white coat contained only 10 black pens and a reflex hammer. Now I'm like that.

Friends call me at 9pm. I'm fast asleep.

It's still sort of a novelty that I can sign my notes without a cosignature.

The sound - or even the vibration - of a pager elicits an impending sense of doom and a Pavlovian reflex to touch my hip.

My life revolves around four day cycles rather than seven day weeks. I can never tell you what day of the week it is. I can always tell you when my next call will be.

Food ("GI rounds") is scarce. Well, time is scarce, and food suffers.

The idiosyncrasies of each computer frustrate me. Some have one program but not another. Some crash randomly. Some can't print. When I find a computer that actually works, I hog it.

I've dozed off in the shower. I get home too late to do laundry.

I apologize to friends when I call them retroactively to wish them a happy birthday.

Every week, I expect reminder emails to log my work-hours and fill in my evaluations. I still haven't done them yet.

I usually come home somewhat satisfied, feeling that though I spend way too much time accomplishing what I do each day, at least I am accomplishing something.

2 comments:

Eric said...

I'm loving these. Glad you're still blogging.

shivani said...

i totally second the above comment (as i sit here at work reading CT abdos as a radiology resident i like to hear about your much different residency experience)