Monday, August 23, 2010

Taking Care of Ourselves

There is some irony that I spend the majority of my time taking care of other people yet I take awful care of myself. To be honest, residency is the least healthy I've ever been. I feel completely wiped out. I'm not eating well. I'm snacking on junk food and fast food to my great shame - and yet I can find no time to make it to a supermarket to get fruits and vegetables. I'm not exercising, except for pacing up and down the hallways and racing up the stairs when elevators frustrate me. I don't sleep enough. I'm chronically fatigued, yet I can't help it. Looking at my peers, we're all like this. We're losing years of our life as we find ourselves cornered into this situation where convenience outstrips health. I don't even have time to cut my nails. Residency is a very odd beast, and I can see why medicine engenders this feeling that I am sacrificing myself for others - even though I really should not be.

No comments: