Saturday, December 04, 2010

Book Review: Who Will Run the Frog Hospital?

Who Will Run the Frog Hospital? by Lorrie Moore is a novella I recently read, and I love it. It has nothing to do with medicine (do not worry, I did not hope to discover medicine in the title), but it was an easy piece of fiction a friend found for me. Lorrie Moore is a fantastic writer, and I had only read her short stories previously. But this book reads as one of her short stories; it is witty and conversant, aching of personal triumph and poignancy. This novella is a bildungsroman of a woman as she looks back at a loss of innocence and a time of transition in her young adulthood. But what it's about is not as important to me as how it makes me feel; her words have such a genuine ring as she prods and probes our own insecurities about adolescence. I would entirely recommend it as a good rainy-day read.

Image shown under Fair Use, from www.greenapplebooks.com.

No comments: