Sunday, December 12, 2010

Poem: Childhood Dreams

Childhood Dreams

Sometimes I wish I could be evil,
black as flint and glass-sleek,
my hair chopped off and heinous-looking.
You would have been a good henchman
and I, a connoisseur of evil.
I wish we didn't have to be so good all day,
what's in it for me anyway?
Other people will save lives in my absence
and even if they didn't, it'd be fine--
we're being bad today, remember?
We would make true our promises,
get crayons the size of lampposts and terrorize Atherton,
sing sea shanties waving cider
and plop our feet on the arms of couches
without removing our shoes.
We hold peculiarity hostage,
build a fort of pillows, our sanctuary of villainy,
communicating in code,
making our rapscallion reputations
and staying up much, much later than we should.

No comments: