Saturday, December 18, 2010

Internet

For the last few days, my Internet hasn't been working reliably at home. This reminded me how dependent our society has become on the Internet. If not for my smartphone, I would have felt completely disconnected from the outside. But once I got over the separation anxiety from my computer, I realized that it is also somewhat liberating not to be refreshing my email q15 minutes, or hovering over my patients with remote access, or (even) blogging. I spent my time writing holiday letters, cleaning, catching up on the mountain of mail and paperwork and to-dos, watching bad movies. It reminded me of a New Year's resolution I sometimes make - which is to take some time for myself, away from my computer, away from the Internet - and since the next New Year is imminent, I will count this one as completed. In any case, I'm working on getting reliable internet back, but regardless, I will probably take a short break from blogs around Christmas at the end of this week. I'm currently celebrating the holidays at the VA but luckily my calls skirt the major holidays. I think I'm done blogging about geriatrics, so next, it'll be VA round 2.

No comments: