Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Oh, the Places You'll Go

It astounds me that in going 40 minutes south from Stanford Hospital down to Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, the patient population changes drastically. When looking at medical schools and residency, I always felt that "patient diversity" was important, but every time I'm reminded of it, it surprises me. I've cancelled three cases for methamphetamine use, the drug of choice in some of the communities served by the county hospital. I've had to use my medical Spanish on a daily basis and call interpreters for half a dozen different languages. A smaller percentage of patients want an epidural. A larger percentage of patients say, "Just do what you think is right, doc." Fewer challenge us, fewer have a really engaging discussion of risks and alternatives of anesthesia. While the patients at Stanford seem to have rarer diseases, the patients at Valley have more complications of common diseases. The patients at Valley are very grateful for medical care. I am more cost conscious when I'm down there. We see a lot more trauma patients.

I wouldn't judge that one hospital or patient population or experience were better than another, but I really appreciate the opportunity to broaden my encounters and see more of the spectrum of medical care.

No comments: