Thursday, April 18, 2013

Patient Rights

I had an interesting discussion with one of the ICU attendings today about patient rights. As a society, we are incredibly cognizant of civil rights; we abhor racial discrimination, support equality regardless of sexual orientation, champion equal opportunity employment. But we don't think about or know much about patient rights. Now, most physicians complete training on patient privacy, patient safety, how to tell a patient of risks, benefits, and alternatives, and when emergency care must be provided. But patient rights doesn't have the same kind of fervor and advocacy as other social issues, and I think it's necessary.

Unfortunately, patients who don't speak English are more likely to have their rights violated. Often, an interpreter isn't requested because of time pressure, but even with an interpreter, a translation may not convey the same information. How many times have I misunderstood a patient because I didn't have an interpreter? I openly say this because I'm not a perfect adherent to patient rights, and this is an easy example why. But I'm beginning to recognize that this is just as important as the civil liberties I enjoy and the equality campaigns I support. We need to make sure patients know who is treating them. We need to tell them of the risks, benefits, and alternatives of different treatment options. We need to provide care in an emergency. We need to keep private patient information confidential. We need to get an interpreter when a patient doesn't speak English. All these simple things, and more, can be easily overlooked, but that would be a violation of someone's rights.

No comments: