Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Happy Christmas

This has been one of more surreal holidays I've had, and that's counting holidays spent entirely on call in the hospital. I'm still reeling from the burglary of our house, but I am so grateful for everyone who's responded with kindness, sympathy, support, and care. I am sure the shock will abate, but the aftermath of this mess - cleaning the house, replacing stolen items, rebuilding music and picture libraries, working with our insurance company - have caused our to-do list to overflow.

Burglary notwithstanding, we had a warm, comforting Christmas with family, and that helped cushion the feeling of helplessness. I also think the things I see in the hospital help give me perspective. The loss of a few laptops, jewelry, and Christmas presents are nothing compared to the things I see on a daily basis. Health and safety are indispensable. Things can be replaced.

I hope your holidays are filled with joy, celebration, relationships, and magic. I also hope they are a time for reflection and a reprieve from the trials and tribulations of everyday life.

No comments: