Monday, February 10, 2014

Tough Cases in Pediatrics

Pediatric surgeries are often complicated by emotions. While most children manage to avoid the hospital, some arrive here from the worst of circumstances. We mutter to ourselves, "How can we be in a world where this happens to children?" When an adult does something stupid and gets injured, we chalk it up to his foolishness. When something awful happens to a child, our feelings are much more tender. We need to protect our children, not endanger them.

A young child is transferred from an outside hospital with injuries from holding an exploding firecracker. The anesthesia and surgery went fine, but a story like that hits home for me. How, why, what? My mind reels with the range of sad, awful, and avoidable things that happen to the most vulnerable of our society. This is also why I ultimately did not choose to make pediatric anesthesia my career; I just can't keep seeing terrible things like this.

No comments: