Friday, July 13, 2007

Intense Concentration, Intense Compassion

These were the watchwords of BMB and I really like them. Indeed, it was a block with lots of focused studying and learning as well as encounters with passionate patients, poignant diseases, and difficult issues. It was the only block with a cumulative final, and from the beginning with the grueling neuroanatomy, we knew this block meant business. But it was also really fun, inspiring, and motivating. The ensemble of lecturers really got us excited about neuroscience. Many of the course directors went far beyond their call of duty to put together review sessions, moderate the message boards, run our small groups. I was really impressed by the intellectual passion and sort of wish it was matched in our other blocks. In fact, I had so much I wanted to write about, I'm still blogging about BMB weeks after we finished. After the final (what a feeling) we all went down to the park for a picnic. Watching the class play football, lounge in the sun, eat hotdogs, chase after pets, I realize we've become pretty close now, so different than the hodgepodge at the beginning of the year. The sun was out, the drinks were cold, there wasn't a worry on anyone's mind as we relaxed in Golden Gate Park just hours after our final final. I don't think it sunk in for many of us that we were now "MS2's," and I was amused when one of my friends asked, "So what are you?" Confused, I looked back at him before realizing he wanted the answer, "I'm a second year medical student now." Intense concentration, intense compassion.

No comments: