Sunday, July 01, 2007

Iserson's Getting into a Residency


I'm not really a "gunner," but I did pick up and take a look at Iserson's Getting into a Residency. It's a pretty thick guide on all the steps you have to take and hoops you have to jump through to figure out what residency you want to go to and how to get there. It's pretty detailed, covering even logistical issues, how to dress at interviews, what questions to anticipate, when to submit applications, how to rate different specialties. Unfortunately, it seems that if you did not pick up this book as an undergrad, you're already behind (I think they make a point of scaring applicants). A lot of the things here are pretty obvious to those who've been through the application process for med school, jobs, etc. But it seems comprehensive, which is good. It can also be useful for international medical graduates and osteopathic students. Right now, I'm finding it most useful in looking at the wide range of possible specialties and how to go about distinguishing them. I suggest this book early on in your med school career, but I haven't looked at other "Get into Residency" type guides to say how good this is.

No comments: