Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Epilogue

The first block of medical school was Prologue. How apt (or corny?) then, that we finish with the Epilogue block. Epilogue happens every Friday during Life Cycles. Its purpose is integration and consolidation of the material we have learned in the last year and a half as well as preparation for the USMLE. I like this set-up with just four days of new material a week and a day of general review. Unfortunately, it makes Fridays really busy. The lectures consist of preparation for the wards (reviewing likely medical conditions we'll encounter such as diabetes and sepsis) as well as Boards prep; often the two overlap. I've realized so far that I have a lot of anatomy and pharmacology to review (especially musculoskeletal), but perhaps I remember more than I thought I did. The instructors are the best from all the blocks we've had. We also had a cool lab in which we rotated through 35 stations in partners solving Boards-style questions with specimens to examine. While some questions were fairly easy, others were pretty tricky. It was really fun (I enjoyed the rapid pace) and educational.

No comments: