Sunday, February 17, 2008

Regrets II

Herein lies the rub. I picked a track that has a singular focused goal: to become a doctor. The cost of that decision involves the restrictions on time, activities, energy, etc. at a point in my life when I wish to keep my varied interests and cultivate the few talents I have. Jeff's reply to my post yesterday pointed out several good points. No matter what my situation, I wouldn't be able to pursue everything I want to do; my imagination is too wide. Nobody has enough time to try everything, and in attempting to do so, I would be sacrificing depth for breadth which may be admirable, but may also be foolish. I should also keep in perspective that my goal (or perhaps duty) is to be a functioning contributing member of society. While I need not be completely end-directed, I should be tracing out a path that will allow me fulfill my societal obligation; hence, medical school rather than a hodgepodge of hobbies and unkempt curiosities.

In thinking about this, I also realize the great benefits of having a structured program. Without this overarching goal in mind, I could easily find myself lost, nibbling on something here, dabbling in something there, the unfortunate sense of moving without any motion. At least now, I will have some measure of assurance that some years from now, I shall be closer to reaching an end-point that I shall be happy with. Knowing myself, I would not fare too well if I completely lacked direction.

2 comments:

jeff said...

Yeah, I completely agree.
While there isn't necessarily a need to be so "ends" focused (a topic I've also been pondering lately), I think as humans, to get a deeper satisfaction from our accomplishments, we need to feel that we've done something of true meaning.

Due to our inherent social nature, I think that accomplishments which contribute to the societal good tend to be seen in our own minds as more meaningful than those which are more (but not completely!) personal-happiness oriented.

Pursuing multiple interests will undoubtedly result in a net positive effect on society (assuming that they are done with passion and an ethically sound motivation), but in the end, we can probably make a contribution of much greater magnitude (than the net of all the contributions resulting from our interests) by focusing on a single field/occupation.

Whether or not the magnitude of one's social contribution should be the deciding factor is a whole different topic....

jeff said...

also, an interesting video on altruism/compassion from TED: http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/200