Saturday, February 16, 2008

Regrets

For this three day weekend, I'm going to ramble to this prompt: Do I have any regrets about the decision to attend medical school?

There are some interesting aspects about my personality. I rarely regret things; for some reason, I just don't get that feeling very much. In some ways it's rational (you can't change the past, so it's an unproductive emotion), but that's not sufficient to explain everything since rarely are emotions reined by reason. In any case, I seldom think about decisions and wished I had chosen otherwise (despite my obsession with free will). Yet I spend an inordinate amount of time reflecting on things I do, which may be an odd complement to the lack of regret.

Do I have regrets about medical school? In broad strokes, no; I'm fairly certain I'd choose to retrace my steps given the opportunity to consider alternatives. But I think of other things I could have done and where I would be in those cases. I did not realize this when I entered, but medical school involves a significant sacrifice on the part of the student. We make a substantial investment of time and energy to acquire the skills of the trade; while we are in school, we give up the luxury of time, geographic mobility, youth, outside interests. Like cells, as we become more and more differentiated, we pick up exciting CD markers but lose others.

The first of these that I can remember is orchestra. I love playing the viola. I was in an orchestra ever since the fourth grade. I wrote college essays about music, I traveled to play concerts, I really felt it was an integral part of my life. But as a college sophomore, I found myself at a branch point where I felt I couldn't keep doing everything I wanted. Perhaps regretfully yet probably prudently, I gave up orchestra to focus on other studies. Now, looking back on my atrophied skills (I used to be able to transpose alto to treble with ease, now I don't think I can do it), there is some degree of remorse.

What I've realized recently is that my friends who have liberated themselves from academic obligations have found themselves embowered with the enviable chance to explore new avenues of learning, enjoyment, talent. I wish I were in the same position. True, such wonders are not outside my grasp, and I've been growing in many aspects outside of curricular teaching, but I find myself reading fewer non-medical books, writing less, thinking less about issues of philosophical and practical importance. After all, I had to wait for a three day weekend after an exam to beginning exploring these thoughts on this blog.

Indeed, some of my friends have put together this email chat-list called "Keisaku" (Zen Buddhism; a flat wooden stick used during periods of meditation to remedy sleepiness or lapses of concentration) where we send out random thoughts and ideas to stimulate discussion of interesting topics. We've talked about the feasibility of co-operative kitchens in cities, what consciousness means, how to improve internet chatting, nutrition, online gaming communities, deep sea creatures...it's ridiculous and lovely. How surprising, all the things in this world that don't involve chief complaints and stethoscopes.

I think that is one reservation I have about my decision to go to medical school. I would love to learn Argentine tango, write a decent villanelle, have late-night conversations about free will, try photography, practice viola, bake, or read something that doesn't have to do with the USMLE Step 1. Maybe tonight I'll start.

3 comments:

jeff said...

hey craig,
i'm struggling with a lot of the same issues (despite my complete lack of any sort of accomplishment or progress towards a particular goal like yourself), so i thought i'd share my thoughts with you on the subject. (by the way, sorry for the lack of capitals. it's a bad internet habit. heh)

there are so many things i'd love to explore and appreciate, but time is limited....

i understand your feelings about being "tied up" with something while everyone else is out there exploring. but i have a few points to counter that sentiment
1 - it's somewhat of a perspective problem. Comparing the things you do and take pride in (a, b, c) with the things that david (d, e, f), julia (g, h, i), lily (j, k, l).... etc. do can be overwhelming since the range of the aggregated activities feels so wide. but remembering that each person only has a limited set of activities that they do well can help to keep things manageable.
2 - even it were the case that we are all out there exploring and enjoying a wide array of activities, that would mean that we weren't making the most progress possible towards a singular (and more admirable/meaningful) goal. rather, we envy your depth of knowledge and ability to make use of it to accomplish things in the "real world".
3 - any sacrifices you're making MUST be worth the cost, because you've decided on your path (and you clearly made the right decision based on the information available at the time) and you are making progress towards your destination with the greatest possible efficiency. Conversely, anything that you could be doing otherwise would actually be a greater sacrifice towards that goal... (maybe)

or maybe it's more of a sense of "urgency" that time is passing without you being able to partake in the full range of activities you enjoy; an expression of the passion to create and appreciate many things.
i don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to have bottomless passion/desire to achieve. (i think one sign of a healthy mind is a strong desire to be active and pursue one's interests)
however, having a completely limitless desire to accomplish and explore could only lead to disappointment later on, since it's impossible to achieve everything on our lists.
but (ugh, i'm so contradicted on this point...), since we can't all become desire-less buddhist monks, complete elimination of that desire isn't an option either. the key might be to balance this passion/desire (and resultant mild regret) with a "humble pride" (if that makes any sense) -- a sense of satisfaction in your own accomplishments up to this point in your specialized area(s).


(i certainly have a lot of respect and admiration for what you've done... not that it really counts for anything.)

hmm, that was a bit abstract, and possibly not all that helpful...


also, a couple of specific points:

youth -
the swift passing of youth is only lamented by those who don't continue to take an active mindset towards life once those years are gone. to the contrary, it's my belief that life will only get better with each day (barring health issues, mr. Dr. Craig)

viola -
if it were your goal (or your "duty") to become a concert violist, u would have done it.
but since it isn't, putting your full attention and passion in to it with whatever limited time you have (or will have in the future) is more than sufficient (for the goal of appreciation of the arts or whatever). besides, it will be waiting for you when you come back to it (you can even look at that positively and say, "wow, i've retained so much after all this time!")

so, final point - don't worry about everything you're missing out on now. all of the activities (and all of us) will be waiting for you when you reemerge (hehe).

now if only i could accomplish something worthwhile... :P

Anonymous said...

I've been a silent reader of this blog for some time and as an aspiring medical student, I must say that I gain a lot of insight on what lies in my potential future.

It is quite a coincidence that I run across the paragraph about viola since I currently have to deal with this decision with the violin.

I just thought I would thank you for sharing your experience with it.

Craig said...

Thanks for the comments guys.

Jeff - you're completely right - all the points you made make perfect sense, it really is an issue of perspective and sacrificing breadth for depth. I really appreciated the reply, it helps me think through all these thoughts.