Saturday, February 02, 2008

Transience

One thing that strikes me about being in school is that everything seems to be somewhat transient. My schedule changes every day. I meet new professors, learn different subject matter, chat with various friends all the time. I don't know where I am going to be in a few years; in fact, I'm not sure where I'll be in a few months. Rotations are two weeks to two months long. I'm constantly learning to adapt to new circumstances, find my way around novel problems, engage exciting challenges. I honestly have no idea what "the real world" or "work" is like, but I imagine it may not have such freshness, such variability. The ephemeral nature of things - it's wonderful in some senses, trying new things, accomplishing tasks I didn't think I could brave, developing a breadth of skills. But it's also oddly constraining, not having many constants in my life, letting things go when I can no longer support them, juggling priorities. I like it, but I'm not sure I'm willing to give up things I love because I don't think I can do them anymore.

No comments: