Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Rotations I

At last, a blog about my third year schedule.

Block 1: 2 weeks of surgical subspecialties (SF) then 6 weeks of family and community medicine (Santa Rosa)
Block 2: 4 weeks of psychiatry and 4 weeks of neurology (SFGH)
Block 3: 8 weeks of surgery (Fresno)
Block 4: 8 weeks of medicine (Parnassus)
Block 5: 6 weeks of obstetrics and gynecology (Parnassus and Mt. Zion)
Block 6: 2 weeks of anesthesia (SF) then 6 weeks of pediatrics (Parnassus)

I really like the order. I start off with a light rotation, family medicine. This will allow me to ease into the swing of things, figure out how to do a good H&P, present a patient, do a write-up. Family medicine is pretty general and should set a good foundation for me in thinking about common illnesses. While some people wanted to start with something serious (medicine) first and save family medicine for the end when burn-out is an issue, I'm okay with having it early. I'll get to pair it with surgical subspecialties and hopefully learn to do a good eye or musculoskeletal exam which will serve me well.

The second block is psychiatry and neurology, and I'm happy with that. Block 2 is when the new residents come in, so I didn't want to do something too procedural or critical for my training. As I'm not interested in either for a career, it will still give me opportunity to learn without too much pressure. Block 3 surgery is okay. I don't think I really care when my surgery rotation is. Non-surgeons tend to cluster their surgery rotations as a first block or a last block, but it's fine.

I'm glad I have medicine fourth; I feel like I'll have had enough experience before then to do well on that rotation. I didn't want to do it too late as I wanted to get a sense of it in thinking about residencies. There's a possibility of burnout (especially after neuro/psych and surgery), but hopefully that doesn't become a problem. My last two blocks are ob/gyn and pediatrics, and I'm happy with that. I'm not thinking too much about those rotations for a career, so it's fine that they come near the end, and I think I'll enjoy them.

No comments: