Thursday, March 20, 2008

Rotations II

For the first half of next year, I'll be moving around quite a bit. Family medicine is in Santa Rosa. I'm happy with that. While I prefer East Bay or South Bay (I have lots of friends in the Berkeley and Stanford areas), North Bay will be a change. It's a little over an hour away from San Francisco and as a rotation, it is rated pretty highly. While Family Medicine in the city involves many different sites, the Santa Rosa experience is a single community based setting.

My second rotation is Psychiatry/Neurology in San Francisco General Hospital. This one has lots of good and bad points. Most people have been trying to trade away SFGH Neuro/Psych because it has awful hours. I think Neuro has the classic 5am rounds everyone dreads. That's a major downside. On the other hand, it's my only rotation at SFGH and I really wanted one because it's a busy exciting county hospital.

I really didn't want Surgery at Fresno, as neither the location nor the teaching is really desirable. Alas, luck of the draw. I guess the upsides are that I'm not super interested in surgery, Fresno may have more hands-on experiences, it's a trauma center, and it's a new setting.

My last three rotations are in the main academic teaching center at Parnassus. Location is fantastic; it's only 5 minutes from where I live. I'm really happy with that. I'm still thinking about whether I want to end up in an academic center, and this will help. It'll be nice having continuity in one setting. The teaching will be great, and I'll get to see more exciting "zebra" cases.

My schedule is missing practice settings like Kaiser, but that's okay. Although it would have been nice to get a wide spectrum of experience in my third year, I have a decent amount of diversity in practice setting and location.

No comments: