Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Decisions V

Yes, this is the last blog (at least for now) regarding specialty decision making. In looking back at the last four posts, I almost see it as a SOAP note (the format of a progress note for a patient). In my first two posts, I describe the "subjective" and "objective" approaches to figuring out what I want to do. My last two posts were really an "assessment" of the leading two specialties. Now, I have to decide on a "plan."

I am really 50-50 at this point. I fear that if I go into internal medicine, there's a chance I'd do a second anesthesia residency after that (maybe a 20% likelihood). While it's not uncommon, it's certainly not ideal to do two residencies and my goal is to minimize that likelihood by committing now.

My first two rotations as a fourth year medical student will be sub-internships, intensive inpatient clinical experiences. I begin with internal medicine at San Francisco General Hospital where I will act as the intern (first year resident) with the associated responsibilities. This is followed by a month in the intensive care unit at SFGH (the recommended anesthesia sub-internship). Hopefully after these two rotations I will have figured out what I want to do. Early in my fourth year, I will also do a month of cardiology and infectious disease, and that will help too.

No comments: