Monday, May 25, 2009

My Sister's Keeper

Yes, I have been able to read for fun. I recently finished My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult, a mediocre book based on a fascinating premise. This is a book about two sisters, the older one with leukemia and the younger one conceived for her umbilical cord blood to save her sister. The older sister is dependent on the younger for her health. How does this change their relationship? How does it change family dynamics? I can't be too sure of the science but I read it for leisure. In many ways, it ends up being too sensational, too "pop" for me. It has that "written to be a best-seller" feel, but it's an easy read, amusing, thought-provoking. It's not a "must-read" but could be worthwhile for someone with the time.

Image shown under fair use, from www.nassaulibrary.org.

1 comment:

Major said...

And it is a true story. I am fortunate to have met the main consultant for the movie, a young 18 year old girl who has relapsed with Leukemia