Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Fourth Year Scheduling

Scheduling rotations for fourth year is a little different than it was for third year. Rotations are either two or four weeks long. Everyone is required to do a medicine sub-internship and a sub-internship in another department, but otherwise, we have a lot of flexibility in what we want to pursue. This may not be a very interesting post, but I figured I ought to write out my fourth year schedule at least.

My fourth year is front-loaded beginning with sub-internships in internal medicine and intensive care. Then I have two weeks of dermatology and two weeks of palliative care. Late in the summer, I do months in infectious disease and cardiology. By October, my schedule becomes a lot lighter. I spend a month doing a lecture-based class on clinical therapeutics. I plan on teaching first year medical students (cardiovascular block) in November and December during interview season. In January, I have a month of pediatric cardiology followed by emergency medicine and radiology. I also have an extra month floating around there which will probably be vacation. The only other rotations I might add in later would be EKG, pulmonary, ophthalmology, hematology, rheumatology, nephrology, or endocrine. As a whole, I got what I wanted and it works well for both a medicine or anesthesia track. Nearly all my rotations are at San Francisco General Hospital; I'll miss the ivory tower of Moffitt and the beautiful coast of the VA. I wish I had more VA rotations, but I can't really complain.

No comments: