Sunday, May 24, 2009

Poem: Trichotillomania

The assignment was to use as few adjectives and adverbs as possible.
-

Trichotillomania

Ever since I came to this house,
my hair has fallen out. The janitor
knows where to find me,
sweeping curls every day
a trail leading to my room
another tuft between my fingers.
Looking in the mirror each morning,
the voices say, this is the moon
and this is your head,
see how it must shine?
Some days I pull, not to appease the voices
but to sniff them out, hunt them down
hiding somewhere beneath my scalp
playing peek-a-boo in my brain.
The men in coats look concerned
when I tell them
and they exchange one pill for another.
I cloister them in my cheek
and spit them out when they leave
because the truth is
I like being a monk
living in this sanctuary
hearing my prayers rebuffed
by voices I cannot satisfy.

No comments: