Friday, July 04, 2014

Book Review: David and Goliath

I've been listening to audiobooks on my commute and recently finished Malcolm Gladwell's David and Goliath. Listening to audiobooks is very different than reading a book. My attention is divided and I lose track of things when I get distracted. It's harder to follow long narratives, and I don't start and stop at natural points - it depends a little on my commute.

Taking all those things into consideration, I was a little disappointed with David and Goliath. I've enjoyed other writings by Gladwell, including Blink and shorter essays, but I think this along with Outliers missed my expectations. Like his other writings, he takes case studies and stories that curious because they defy our initial assumptions, impressions, or preconceptions. But the things he chooses aren't all that mindboggling; it reads a little case studies from a standard introductory psychology, social sciences, or economics class. He also tries to unify his narratives into an overarching theme echoing the Biblical tale of David and Goliath. I think he really falls short; I was not convinced by any of the conclusions he drew.

Overall, a mediocre book that lies in the shadows of his prior bestsellers. I think it is time for me to find a new nonfiction science writer.

Image shown under Fair Use, from Wikipedia.

No comments: