Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Numbers and Things

We keep a case log of every patient we anesthetize and every procedure we do. Mostly, it is to make sure we hit the minimums for various types of anesthetics and cases. At the end of it all though, it's interesting to think about what I've done over the last four years. I've logged 1,540 patients and 6,760 procedures (the definition of procedure is quite vague so each case usually involves checking at least 2 boxes). Over thirty of those cases involve cardiopulmonary bypass; over 50 were C-sections; 50 were neurosurgeries; over 30 were lung surgeries; and 30 were traumas. Of my 125 pediatric patients, 5 of them were less than 12 weeks old. I've placed over 160 epidurals, 100 spinals, and 120 peripheral nerve blocks. It's a strange way to summarize the core of my training, and also a little strange to put it out there, online. There are residents, I'm sure, who have done more of this or that, and residents who have done less. I've met all the minimum requirements with lots of room to spare, and more importantly, I feel comfortable doing all these types of anesthetics and procedures. Doing a certain number doesn't guarantee proficiency, but having done this many, I've hopefully reached it.

1 comment:

Perry said...

This is an important reminder of putting the necessary hours into one's profession. Amongst the controversy surrounding resident and physician work-hours,we must not forget the most important ingredient in making an excellent doctor: practice, practice, practice.