Wednesday, August 01, 2007

House

I really like the TV show House, MD. Set at a fictional Princeton Plainsboro teaching hospital, it focuses on master diagnostician Gregory House and his posse. Every episode, the team takes on a medical case that befuddles all other doctors. House's methods are unorthodox; he is completely focused on solving the medical mystery and wastes little time on caring for the patient. He rarely believes what the patient says ("Everybody lies") but his medical genius is apparently an indispensable contribution to the hospital.

I really enjoy the medical mysteries. They are often combinations of rare presentations of rare diseases; that is, things that could never conceivably happen in real life. But it's still fun to see how House's problem solving narrows down the differential. While the medical-ness isn't completely accurate, it's pretty good for a TV show I think. It's funny, I notice sarcoid and (in earlier seasons) paraneoplastic syndrome get proposed a lot (since they can cause lots of nonspecific symptoms). But it's never lupus.

2 comments:

Irene said...

Hello Craig!

Your blog is providing wonderful procrastination material for me during work today. Thank you. =)

I am visiting London next week for only a weekend, but I thought of you and your post about Oxford. I'm excited...it'll be my first time there! Anyway...keep up the posts. =)

Anonymous said...

Everything is lupus. Rash? Lupus. Pregnant? Lupus. Leg fell off? Lupus.