Sunday, August 05, 2007

Summer Thing of the Week

I wanted to write a bit about philosophy, especially in relation to medicine and the sciences. Indeed, philosophy has more to do with science than most people realize. Many famous philosophers were scientists (or perhaps, many famous scientists were also philosophers). Even with the ancient Greeks, Plato and Aristotle studied the properties of matter and the laws of physics. Many don't realize that scientists like Galileo, Descartes, Newton all the way to Poincare, Bohr, and Einstein had fundamental influences in philosophy of science. Furthermore, within the last few decades, there's been a rise in biomedical ethics and discussions about morality and science. These are two major ways in which my ideas of philosophy influence how I view science; I hope to explore these in my blogs this week.

No comments: