Saturday, December 22, 2007

Academic vs Community Medicine

One interesting thing about medical school is that the majority of our exposure is to academic medicine. We're taught by professors doing cutting-edge research in facilities with the most advanced equipment treating patients in a tertiary care center (meaning that we get referred cases that are too complicated for other centers). Most doctors, on the other hand, are community physicians who treat "bread-and-butter" cases, worrying more about allocation of limited resources rather than active research. As a result, medical students get a skewed view of the field.

For me, though, I think I plan on staying in academic medicine. The disadvantages are clear. The compensation is lower yet the hours may be longer; part of the salary is grant-dependent and not guaranteed. The path to promotion (and tenure) is long and difficult. Nevertheless there are many advantages. What appeals to me is the greater flexibility; I can pursue research, education, administration, and clinical activities in a proportion that best fits me. I can pick research endeavors that interest me. I also like the high intensity environment of the academic center. I would enjoy the opportunity to teach students. The decreased compensation wouldn't really bother me.

No comments: